<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

How 'bout a collective "Awwwww"?

Is this probably a bigger deal to me than the average joe, because I was brought up with a great appreciation for nature and wildlife. While I was putting my shoes on this morning, I was gazing into the woods and saw something relatively large moving in a tree right behind my fence. Since we have eleventy-billion squirrels, I could tell right off the bat that was not what we were dealing with here, but it was just far enough that I could not discern what I was looking at. I went downstairs & rummaged around in a drawer to find my field binoculars. Imagine my surprise to learn that we have a sizeable racoon living in a partially hollow tree right on our property!

I just get a kick out of spotting animals in their natural habitat...and this one I will be able to spy on all the time! I just hope the furry critter is smart enough to actually stay out of the backyard. Between the wolf and the Great Dane, that poor sucker won't stand a chance. It does, however, explain the incessant barking by my wolf mix. She has retained all of her ancestor's keen wolf senses and loves to act like a predator, although she is the most mild-tempered dog you'd ever meet.

She cannot tolerate any potential infringement into "her" yard, though. Now that I know what's causing the problem, well, that does nothing for me because there is no solution other than continuing to go onto the deck and yell at her until she momentarily shuts up. She can't stand to be in the house for more than 30 minutes, lest something wicked be frolicking in her yard. She MUST go check, just to be sure.

Well, this may be a no-no, but I think I'll leave a little treat of some sort of fruit at the base of the tree & maybe I'll be lucky enough to watch an afternoon snack take place. I'm sure it will piss off the dogs, but the good news is, they always get over it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?