<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 29, 2004

It's Pet Peeve time!

OK, I knew I'd have to do it sooner or later, so it might as well be sooner. I'd like to take a moment to discuss My Pet Peeves.

All time #1: Flaking.

This can take on various forms but they are fairly easy to differentiate. The most heinous one is: RSVPing to a function and not showing up OR calling...even the next day. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE! Were these people raised in a barn?!? A close second is friends not RSVPing at all, and not showing up. P.S., You're welcome for the invitation. Do they REALLY think making a 30 second phone call to say they're not coming is WORSE than just not showing up? I don't get it. I don't care if I've invited 1000 people over, because I invited each one for a reason. Sheer crowd numbers don't excuse an absence.

Another flaking offense is canceling close to the last minute without a truly valid excuse. Y'know, I KNOW emergencies happen, and a real emergency is naturally an exception. But hemming and hawing about some B.S. reason you can't "get around" is not acceptable.

I have the ability to be spontaneous and jump onto the band wagon at the last second, but when something is pulled away from me at the last minute, I feel a childlike sense of disappointment, like I've just been told the circus was cancelled. If you really don't want to go, or attend...just say no! Why string people along? I understand that some people have a hard time saying "no", but they must understand that not following through is MUCH worse in the long run! You'll hurt my feeling alot more by blowing me off rather than just saying "no thanks"!

Peeve #2: Sidebars

My husband may be the worst offender. I know that when you are on the phone, occasionally someone else on the other end tries to interrupt the person you are talking to. An occasional "hold on one second" is just fine. But starting a whole conversation with the interrupter, without a "please hold" while I am on the other end with my thumb up my butt is not acceptable! CALL ME BACK! If it just can't wait...fine! Again, urgent things and emergencies happen. CALL ME BACK! One minor exception is when talking to a friend at home with kids. More interruptions do happen here, and most people are gracious enough to either re-direct their kids or call you back when they get a quiet moment later. Thank you! But, PLEASE, do not just start talking to someone standing right next to you while the person you were talking to on the phone dangles mercilessly!

OK, I feel better having gotten those things off my chest. What it all boils down to is COMMON COURTESY, folks. Of course, I know I'm not perfect either. I do strive to avoid being blatantly rude to others, though. (Unless the situation warrants it!) The above offenders of my peeves need to realize that these things are no more than common courtesies that most people would extend to complete strangers. Friends and acquaintances are a great place to start practicing!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?