<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Random Travels

Well...no actual "hill folk" on the float/camping trip. We did encounter rebel flag waving rednecks aplenty, though. Same thing, I guess. The trip went well. I got no sleep whatsoever Friday night, mostly due to aforementioned redneck hooting, cursing and blasting loud music until, oh, four a.m.

Saturday was our float day. We got a raft rather than a canoe. Much more comfortable, but also more sluggish than canoes. The good news was that when you lost your will to live, you could actually lie down on the raft. On a canoe, you're just S.O.L. The river was fun. It had kind of a party atmosphere all the way down. I think the most popular raft on the river belonged to my sister and two of my friends. They played the role of "hot chicks" for the day. My poor sister somehow got stuck rowing/navigating the raft ALL DAY! One of my friends had made a zillion Jello shots, so they were all pretty comfy.

The river route was just long enough that I really had lost my will to live by the time we rounded the bend to see the sign were could drop off the rafts and catch the bus back to the campsite.

We all ate like ravenous beasts Saturday night. My sister & I both ate TWO hamburgers each, plus beans, chips, burnt corn on the cob...and of course, smores. Mmmmmm, smores.

Delicious sleep was at last mine on Saturday night. Sheer exhaustion will do that to you, I guess.

Last weekend marked our final weekend adventures with the family trip to a local lake. We hit the road for about 3 1/2 hours and met my in-laws at a beautiful lake cabin. Have you seen the Expdia commerical where the guy says "Oh, a hunting lodge...the kids would LOVE that" then has visions of them being terrified looking at the disembodied animal heads during a thunderstorm? That's pretty much were we stayed. The dead animals didn't bother my daughter in the least. It was a really cool two bedroom, two bath cabin with a deck, living room & kitchen. We brought our boat and mostly spent the weekend boating, fishing, swimming and eating. What more could you ask for? Plus, the lodge we were staying at had a "kid's club" which occupied my daughter for 3 hours, two of the mornings we were there. Bonus! I also got to squeeze in a massage. It's the first "foriegn" massage I've had since the nacolepic massage therepist on my cruise. This weekend's therapist did a great job. Whew.

We have been GO! GO! GO! in July and early August. Finally....I'll be sleeping in my own bed for more than a week straight. In mid-September we'll be visiting friends on the East Coast and staying in historic Old Saybrook, CT at a lovely beach house. Yeah! Til, then....business as usual. But you know how THAT goes. I'm sure adventure is really just around the bend.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?