<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 06, 2005

Should I or Shouldn't I?

In a word: braces. I had my first ever consultation with an orthodontist the other day. When I was a kid my dentist INSISTED to my mother that I didn't need braces. Well, guess what. I'm finding that as I get older, my couple of crooked teeth are becoming more so, and now it's really starting to bug me. Here's my biggest hang up: I think braces on older people look stupid. Sorry...can't help it. Even the "clear" ones have a big wire running across them and are more than obvious. Plus, the ortho said she'd want me to put traditional metal ones on my lower teeth for maximum effectiveness. She also says that Invisalign are not for me. Poo. I may get one more consultation from someone else before making any decisions. On one hand, it's "only" a year and a half. One the other...IT'S A YEAR AND A HALF! I mean, in two years I could have perfect teeth and the pain in the ass of braces will be like a distant memory (sort of like child birth and infancy).

I'll take any input. I am REALLY on the fence about this! Suck it up and just do it, or just deal with my less than perfect smile?

Comments:
It doesn't sound like you NEED them, but that your teeth are just bugging you. If that is the case, then I would say "no" and spend your money elsewhere on something that you will ENJOY.

Also, keep in mind, that after the braces, you would probably need to wear a retainer for at least a year. And the retainer is IMPORTANT. (take it from soneone who did NOT wear her retainer. IMPORTANT, I tell you!)
 
I am an orthodontist. Its sounds like invisalign can work for you. Your orthodontist probably hasn't done enough to accurately feel comfortable treating your mouth. Find a orthodontist that has done over 300 cases and I'm sure he can treat you with Invisalign.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?