<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 18, 2005

Guilty Pleasures with an Extra Side of Guilt!

I woke up this morning...and ONLY this morning. Not at 5 a.m., 5:30 a.m., 6:30 a.m., 7 a.m., etc. as usual. It occurred to me when I woke up today that the baby didn't wake me up once last night...because OPPS! I didn't have the monitor turned up loudly enough. I'm sure he cried himself to sleep at least 2 or 3 times. Heh heh. I DID feel amazing after sleeping a full night, though. You either have to be an insomniac or a parent to refer to a full night of sleep as a "guilty pleasure"!

So while we were having routine shots and check up at the pediatrician this morning, she inquired about his sleeping habits. We gave her the rundown and then told her about last night. She looked at me and said "How do you feel about that? Does it matter if he wakes up and cries if you don't know about it?" Intriguing. Then she asked my husband. So after we hemmed and hawed with our answers I said "How do YOU feel about that?" This is why I love this doctor. She says "When he wakes up like that, he's not fully awake. He's going through a light sleep period and if you go in to 'comfort' him, you run the risk of actually waking him up. And then he'll come to expect nighttime visits. Turn the monitor off." WAAAHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Sleep, sleep, sleep... I love sleep! If he REALLY freaks out, we should be able to hear him anyway, so I can keep telling myself that.

Ahhhhhhhhh. See you on cloud nine, counting sheep!

Comments:
Hey, *I* feel pretty good right now!! My first reaction (before reading your doctor's) was "well, the little guy is old enough now to comfort himself back to sleep". Of course, I also actually believe that Dr. Ferber is Right On. haha.

Anyway, congrats on Taking Back The Night!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?